WEBINAR: Black Breastfeeding: Diversity in the Diaspora
Recorded On: 11/02/2023
Black people are often perceived to be a monolith. This couldn't be further from the truth. Black people have a rich and vast history with various cultural backgrounds and religious beliefs, sexual orientations, gender identities, and family structures. This presentation will open the minds and hearts of lactation professionals who have a limited scope when it comes to the matters of their patient/client's life and how it may affect their lactation journey. The webinar will serve as an informative and educational tool so that those who are unaware will be briefed on the levels of diversity from the likes of Ethiopia, Nigeria, South Africa, India, Jamaica, Haiti, Brazil, Belize, and the Southern portions of the United States among others. The intended outcome is lactation professionals who are well-informed about their patient/client population which in turn can improve treatment in the healthcare system.
Credit: 0.5 L CERP
Source: ILCA Webinar 9 November 2023
Presented by: Krystin A. Wills, CLES
Upon completion, the learner will be able to:
- Describe a collection of Black lactation stories from people in the community.
- Define what Black lactation looked like in the past and what it looks like today with modern advances and current challenges.
- Discuss implicit bias against Black people while instilling cultural humility in non-Black lactation professionals, especially when in the hospital and/or clinical setting.
- Advocate for Black parents and families in the healthcare system which can result in fewer health disparities and inequities.
- Unlearn preconceived notions and stereotypes of Black people in their minds which contribute to psychological harm to the patient/client.
Learning Level: Beginner
Expiration Date: 9 November 2025
Disclosures: ILCA accepts no commercial support for continuing education activities. The activity planners have no conflicts of interest to declare. The presenter has no significant financial interest or other relationship with the manufacturer(s) of any product(s) or provider(s) of any services relating to the subject matter of this presentation unless otherwise stated below.
CERPs: ILCA is an approved provider of Continuing Education Recognition Points (CERPs) with the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE). (CLT-108-7).
ILCA education is provided as a service to our members for continuing education, knowledge, and awareness. We believe in fostering an inclusive environment that supports diversity and removes barriers. The views and opinions expressed in this education, including the choice of vocabulary, expressions, and use of supporting evidence-based research belong to the presenter. ILCA is steadfast in our commitment to present, learn, and discuss any information in a safe, respectful, and supportive environment.